I had last Friday off work, and Lucy was in nursery so I decided to tackle the bedroom. I gathered together a black sack, a recycling sack, vac bags, vacuum cleaner, duster & polish, and put some motivating music on.
I started with the wardrobe. Taking one section at a time (shelf, rail, floor) and sorted them into the following:
- eBay (good stuff I don't want any more or doesn't fit)
- Charity (too cheap to eBay)
- Winter (vac bag for storage)
I then (carefully) put the wardrobe-worthy pile back into my wardrobe and threw out all the horrible hangers.
Now I can see my wardrobe floor and all my clothes! I feel so much better already... keeping on a roll and tackling the dresser next. Following pretty much the same method:
- Doesn't belong here
I then cleaned the top and decided I didn't want to keep a load of stuff on the surface. I find that once you start storing stuff somewhere, it becomes a magnet for other stuff. Before you know it, you've got a big pile of unorganised 'stuff'. So I decided to repurpose some IKEA Kompartment boxes that fit into the drawers and organised the top drawer. I have these Kompartments:
- Hair brushes and products
- Daily use (deodorant, face cream, etc)
- Odds & ends (pillow spray, cold cream, etc)
- cotton wool & cotton buds
- Hair clips
- Hair bands
- Occasional-use hair stuff (like curling irons.. I have WAY too much hair stuff)
Then to complete the good feeling of spring cleaning, I put all my shoes away lined up under the bed, gave the room a deep clean and airing with fresh linen. It feels so good! So that's THREE TICKS in one day! Go me! (no more explanation marks, I think I've gone overboard).